What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by D-Eagle »

Spininprop wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:03 pm Removed the yamaha touring screen and put the factory screen on the bike. Returned the stock seats to the bike and stored the touring seats. Next, removing addition accessories over the next few days.
Uh oh. What's coming?
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

danh600 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:08 pm Went for a ride to finish scrubbing in the new R6GTs.

I swear it feels like a different bike. Just goes right onto a curve and holds a nice line.

The worn PR4 were starting to feel like you had to manhandle it into a corner. Then it wanted to go over more or stand up. Felt like constant adjustment in corners.

That's all gone now with the new tires. I have never noticed this much improvement from a new set of tires.

The PR4GTs weren't really that badly worn. Pretty even wear and just on the wear bars.
When I read that I thought it was my post as that is exactly how my bike handled with those tires and I posted it here a couple times. Had to constantly fight it to lean and it always felt like it wanted to stand up. Have put a few hundred miles on the 6GT's as well and now the bike wants to fall into the turns. Night and day difference. Hope they hold up well.
danh600 loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Festus wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 am Gathered up Viper Dad for a day trip into WV. I'm not sure about you guys, but when I get the chance to ride, it's like Christmas Eve as a kid for me. Sleeping is going to be an issue. 12:30 am, awake. 3:30 am, awake and didn't get back to sleep. The original plan was to meet at 6:30.

Screw it, I can't wait any longer...

Not a huge fan of riding in the dark at higher speeds, but I had to make an exception since the sun didn't show up for a while :)

We headed to Route 250W to go deep into WV, with the plan of coming back via 33 East. Popped into Seneca Rocks. Looks like they have destroyed the concrete bridge and raised the water level here. Seneca Rocks in the background.

Up to Spruce Knob. Can barely see the bikes in the middle of this one!

33 East was so good. 250W had a lot of gravel. 33 was smooth and clean. I think we came close to qualifying for MotoGP on that run :)

460 miles, roughly. Great day of riding in WV. Beautiful weather

Some of these photos are Viper Dad's. Just wanted to make sure he got credit for them.
Great calendar worthy photos there! I used to live out in Goochland county Va in the middle of nowhere 20 years ago which is about 45 minutes east of Charlottesville. We put so many miles on those same roads over many years and I still meet up from SC with friends once a year to ride them. Rt250, 33, 220, Seneca Rocks, Elkins, Monterey, Stanardsville, Goshen's Pass etc etc. Great blacktop in many of those areas as well. Always wonder what they do right as they have winter too but potholes are rare. Really enjoyed this post and the photos and cannot wait to get back up there
2017 Kawasaki Z900
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

Took a great 200 mile loop ride up Moonshiner 28 through the Highlands of NC and back through the areas finest roads. Beautiful day and saw a few other motorcyclists out there. The photo is one of the many horseshoe turns on 28 and everyone was in a happy mood for sure. The 360 camera I have mounted can get some pretty cool videos and snapshots.

On the way home down 178 I passed this LEO. What bothered me as he was going the other way and when I passed him going the speed limit behind a car he turned around quickly and followed me to the SC state line. I believe he was hoping I did not see him as that section is freshly paved and twisty and its easy to get on it pretty good. I never went over the speed limit and he stayed back just far enough hoping I would jump on it. When we got to the SC line he about faced and headed home. In the thousands of miles I have ridden in this area or on these rides I have never been pulled or bothered. Its not really heavily patrolled. Glad I saw him or this might have been the time someone snagged me :shock: :shock: Its not like I ride like a bat out of hell as getting home in one piece is my first priority, bit when the speed limits are 30-35 on these roads just about anyone could get a ticket if you happen to come across one.

Bugnatr, D-Eagle, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am When I read that I thought it was my post as that is exactly how my bike handled with those tires and I posted it here a couple times. Had to constantly fight it to lean and it always felt like it wanted to stand up. Have put a few hundred miles on the 6GT's as well and now the bike wants to fall into the turns. Night and day difference. Hope they hold up well.
That is normal for new tires. What matters is the last 25% of tread life. The only front tire I have used that rode well to the very end was a T31GT. T30 Evo did not. PR4GT certainly does not.

What usually happens is the tire goes from neutral to wanting to fall into low speed turns when cold. Couple miles later it returns to neutral. But as it wears the tire gets harder to turn at speed.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

2022 FJR ES

Deagle10 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:10 am
Spininprop wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:03 pm Removed the yamaha touring screen and put the factory screen on the bike. Returned the stock seats to the bike and stored the touring seats. Next, removing addition accessories over the next few days.
Uh oh. What's coming?
BikerGeek, D-Eagle, Hppants and 2 others loved this
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

N4HHE wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:44 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am When I read that I thought it was my post as that is exactly how my bike handled with those tires and I posted it here a couple times. Had to constantly fight it to lean and it always felt like it wanted to stand up. Have put a few hundred miles on the 6GT's as well and now the bike wants to fall into the turns. Night and day difference. Hope they hold up well.
That is normal for new tires. What matters is the last 25% of tread life. The only front tire I have used that rode well to the very end was a T31GT. T30 Evo did not. PR4GT certainly does not.

What usually happens is the tire goes from neutral to wanting to fall into low speed turns when cold. Couple miles later it returns to neutral. But as it wears the tire gets harder to turn at speed.
Appreciate the response. I have had my share of motorcycles over the years and yes the tires start to sing and they do make it harder to lean but not to the degree I felt with my FJR. I am fortunate to live in twistyville and it got to the point where the bike was not fun to ride, not just at the end of their life but after maybe 4-5K. When I read the OP and the way he described it I knew exactly what he was talking about. The 5GT's were much better than the 4's in this department and now we have the 6's. I still never get more than 6-7K out of any tire on this bike. I drop the big bucks for the Traxxion upgrade recently and hope that that will improve tire life. It made a world of difference on a GW but of course its unique with its weight. They rose the rear shock a bit on the FJR to make it turn in quicker and its amazing how well the bike handles now. The jury is still out as I wear down the 6GT's but will be oh so happy if I can avoid that characteristic in the future.
wheatonFJR loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Finished up cleaning, lubing and reassembling the centerstand, suspension relay, drive shaft, rear brake&pads, and rear tire. Front end is next. Won't be long now before the riding season really kicks off!
BikerGeek and BkerChuck loved this
Red
Veteran
FJRModel: 2008 FJR1300A
Location: near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.

Post by Red »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 amWhen I read that I thought it was my post as that is exactly how my bike handled with those tires and I posted it here a couple times. Had to constantly fight it to lean and it always felt like it wanted to stand up. Have put a few hundred miles on the 6GT's as well and now the bike wants to fall into the turns. Night and day difference. Hope they hold up well.
Blueridgerider,

In my experience, if the FJR falls into turns, you need to add a few PSI to the front tire.
If the FJR wants to stand up in turns, release a few PSI from the front tire.
These are usually not big changes, to be made. Small changes in PSI may be enough.
Find the sweet spot between those extremes, and the FJR should have neutral (thought-controlled) steering, unless something else is wrong too.
Some tire brands are more sensitive to the PSI in the front tire than others, but I hear similar reports about high and low pressures in the front tire, from all over.
Blueridgerider loved this
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Yeah, I ride motorcycles. I know why dogs put their heads out of the car windows.
Yeah, I fly hang gliders (3000 hrs.+). I know why the birds sing.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Spininprop wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 pm 2022 FJR ES

Deagle10 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:10 am
Uh oh. What's coming?
Have you found one actually in stock and for sale?
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Hppants, yes at this point in time. My luck when i pull the trigger, no. Will see. Just thought i would get prepared.

Update: well my insider was wrong which i figured but hey. One can have hope. At least the bike is ready to go!!
Last edited by Spininprop on Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
BikerGeek
Veteran
FJRModel: 2004

Post by BikerGeek »

Blueridgerider wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am The 360 camera I have mounted can get some pretty cool videos and snapshots.
Can you provide any more info on that camera?
Blueridgerider and Spininprop loved this
"Having THIS bunch of guys paying attention to you is like being the world's tallest midget."
- 0face
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

New rear tire. New rear pads. Cleaned and lubed the pins on the front and rear brakes. Plenty of evidence of a lot of riding in the rain. Even had some corrosion on the clutch lever bolt.
ice station zebra loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
BkerChuck
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR1300A

Post by BkerChuck »

Weather has turned cold and nasty again so spent some time in the garage. Actuated ABS to flush it out and flushed/changed brake fluid.
ImageImageImage

IBA #50866
ice station zebra
Casual Rider

bill lumberg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:51 am New rear tire. New rear pads. Cleaned and lubed the pins on the front and rear brakes. Plenty of evidence of a lot of riding in the rain. Even had some corrosion on the clutch lever bolt.
Question: Is it (ever ?) necessary to replace the little o rings on the tip of the front brake pad pins? They look good, but they are 14 years old?
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I’ve never replaced them. But I’ve never had a 14 year old bike. 85k on the last one and over 90k on this one. Never changed them.
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

ice station zebra wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:16 am
bill lumberg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:51 am New rear tire. New rear pads. Cleaned and lubed the pins on the front and rear brakes. Plenty of evidence of a lot of riding in the rain. Even had some corrosion on the clutch lever bolt.
Question: Is it (ever ?) necessary to replace the little o rings on the tip of the front brake pad pins? They look good, but they are 14 years old?
No.... if you're lucky to still have them, then great. They aren't cheap, don't do much but maybe stop a bit of vibration, but now we're splitting hairs if you think you can detect a difference. Ride more, worry less item.
fontanaman, Bust, and ice station zebra loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

I road the FJR 150 miles today for the first day on the FJR this year. I head south of Spokane into the wheat fields of southeast Washington. I was taking it easy to today covering this distance in 4 hours or so. The only critter I saw was a hawk. It is very remote and certainly not crowded out here.

The wheat is coming in. In a couple of months it will be much taller.

Despite being farmland there are enough turns to keep riding moderately entertaining.

Just outside of Spokane the wheat fields give way to pine trees and lakes.

It was a good day to be on the FJR although I'd like to sit on a 2022 Yamaha Tracer GT but they seem to be more rare than unobtainium.
Hppants, BikerGeek, Festus and 1 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider

Removed the front wheel and cleaned up the calipers ready to install the EBC HH pads. Everything was really, really dirty and grimey so me thinks cleaning up the calipers on a more regular schedule has gotta be a good idea. Perhaps when I change the front tire which is typically after two seasons of riding.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ice station zebra wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 pm Removed the front wheel and cleaned up the calipers ready to install the EBC HH pads. Everything was really, really dirty and grimey so me thinks cleaning up the calipers on a more regular schedule has gotta be a good idea. Perhaps when I change the front tire which is typically after two seasons of riding.
I swap brake pads around to keep wear more even each time I change tires. I usually take the opportunity to clean things up at the same time. Last year, it took me almost a couple hours to clean them up - I had fork seal leaks on both sides in the previous couple of months and the combination of fork oil, brake dust and dirt took forever to get rid of. Some brake cleaner but mostly Varsol, tooth brush, paper towels and elbow grease.
ice station zebra and El Toro Joe loved this