What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
danh600
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022 FJR1300ES

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by danh600 »

Spininprop wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm After 7 hours+ and I95 traffic, made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES. Received a good trade in on my 2016 and did the deal. Now, waiting for the side bags like everyone else. Wouldn't be so bad as I have my Wolfman expedition bag, but... things don't go so well if you don't secure the drybag to your bike before hallin ass home 360 miles. Yep, reached back to make sure the bag was there and it wasn't.

Circled back 10 mile up and down rt 1 in North Caroline and actually found it, along a left turn lane. Good thing too as it contained all the paperwork from my recent purchase. So I turned around and stopped in the left turn lane, walk past a few cars that had concerned drivers, picked up my bag, strapped it on my bike and headed, again, for home. geez, my made in America Wolfman (now made in china) had multiple holes in it not to mentioned getting run over.

Even my sneakers sole on one shoe must have been dragged as it is worn off. Now in search of another drybag, but I've got a bike that needs all my "farkles" put back on, but not before a wash, polish, and wax tomorrow. Life is good.
Rox straps!

I use kayak dry bags. Tighten down the rox straps. Check them about 20 miles down the road. Clothes tend to compress. Give them a little tug and your load is secure for the rest of the day.
Toter, bill lumberg, BkerChuck and 1 others loved this
HotRodZilla
Veteran
FJRModel: 07 FJR-A

Post by HotRodZilla »

danh600 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:24 am
Spininprop wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:14 pm After 7 hours+ and I95 traffic, made it home with the 2022 FJR-ES. Received a good trade in on my 2016 and did the deal. Now, waiting for the side bags like everyone else. Wouldn't be so bad as I have my Wolfman expedition bag, but... things don't go so well if you don't secure the drybag to your bike before hallin ass home 360 miles. Yep, reached back to make sure the bag was there and it wasn't.

Circled back 10 mile up and down rt 1 in North Caroline and actually found it, along a left turn lane. Good thing too as it contained all the paperwork from my recent purchase. So I turned around and stopped in the left turn lane, walk past a few cars that had concerned drivers, picked up my bag, strapped it on my bike and headed, again, for home. geez, my made in America Wolfman (now made in china) had multiple holes in it not to mentioned getting run over.

Even my sneakers sole on one shoe must have been dragged as it is worn off. Now in search of another drybag, but I've got a bike that needs all my "farkles" put back on, but not before a wash, polish, and wax tomorrow. Life is good.
Rox straps!

I use kayak dry bags. Tighten down the rox straps. Check them about 20 miles down the road. Clothes tend to compress. Give them a little tug and your load is secure for the rest of the day.
I used RokStraps for my trip to EOM. They worked beautifully. All I had to do every night was unclip them and put them out of the way. In the morning, I would just re-stretch the ties, clip them and secure the tails. Super easy, secure and convenient.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

I use the 4 straps that came with the wolfman expedition bag. I install two under the main seat for attachment either side then the connecting two straps on the passenger hand hold. Loop them through the multitude of d-rings on the bag, clip them together, pull the straps tight, then give the bag a good tug in all directions. Never an issue in the 25,000+ miles of use.

The issue here was, "Loop them through the multitude of d-rings on the bag, clip them together, pull the straps tight, then give the bag a good tug in all directions"

Was in a hurry to get on the road and failed to follow what I've done all along. Geez, I was stupid...

Hotrod. I do the same, tuck them away, deploy when needed. Rock straps would be a good solution.

HotRodZilla wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:41 pm
danh600 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:24 am

Rox straps!

I used RokStraps for my trip to EOM. They worked beautifully. All I had to do every night was unclip them and put them out of the way. In the morning, I would just re-stretch the ties, clip them and secure the tails. Super easy, secure and convenient.
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
escapefjrtist
Veteran
FJRModel: '15 FJR 1300A

Post by escapefjrtist »

Went for a ride with Panman this afternoon...nice easy 100 miles enjoying the PNW's straight and boring roads! Visited one of the local shops to sample orange kool-aid and maybe found a new helmet to replace my tired MultiTec. A good day!

~G
Hppants, fontanaman, and Niehart loved this
IBA34365
'15 FJR-USD-A
'18 Tenere
Panman
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007

Post by Panman »

Yep, always a good day with George.
Festus
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2013 FJR, 2023 KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Festus »

Rode it like a rental mule to WV and Western VA.

Niehart, danh600, Blueridgerider and 1 others loved this
"That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be" - 1911

"Stay thirsty, my friends"....... Wouldn't that mean I'm dehydrated all the time?
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:38 am
FastPappy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:36 am 39.7 front, 42.2 rear. :lol:
Looks like you need to up the front .3psi and release the rear .2psi. Get on it! Lol
I was always running 42 in the rear as that is what I thought was mostly recommended going back to my Wing days. Well after wearing out my Road 6 rear in the center after 6500 miles which had been the same with the 5’s I felt like I had to be over inflating it. That wear is from mostly mountain riding as well so something ain’t right.

Just threw on a pair of the new Dunlop Roadmax IV at my local Powersports dealer. They tout 49% better wear than the Road 5’s and the reviews have been good. Never liked Dunlop on the Wing, the Elite Series as they were slippery on wet roads. That was many moons ago and I am hoping these deliver. Powersports always run 42 front and 36 rear on all the tires they mount. I thought that a was totally wrong and would get the bike home to pump it up to 38/42. This time I asked about their reasoning and he said that over time with the thousands of tires they mount that they get the best results at that pressure and that 42 is why I am rearing my tires out quickly in the center. I think 36 is a wee bit low and 42 in the front too high (believer in Max McAllister Traxxion front tire pressure video from 2018) so my compromise this time is 40/38. Time will tell but hoping for much better performance on these. Tire pressure is one step down from an oil thread so I don’t dare ask what everyone else is doing :lol: :shock:
fontanaman, bill lumberg, HotRodZilla and 1 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I’m putting a set of PR4GT’s on tomorrow. I may try those pressures for science.

While I’m like you, I don’t necessarily think 42 front and 36 rear is a great idea (oddly, the inverse of factory recommendations), I know that I suffer no ill effects from running 42 up front.

Never tried running the rear that low. May try it.
Blueridgerider loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I, not being a purist, have a wide range of tire pressures I'm perfectly fine with. I can't tell any difference whatsoever between 36 and 42 in the front or rear. Probably since it's never that when I'm riding. According to FOBO TPMS, my tire pressures while riding will vary from +2 on cooler cloudy days to +10 on hot sunny days. With that much variance I tend to think that folks who say they can feel a 2 psi cold difference are full of themselves.

IMHO anything between 36 and 42 front or rear is fine.
bill lumberg loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

bill lumberg wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:41 pm While I’m like you, I don’t necessarily think 42 front and 36 rear is a great idea (oddly, the inverse of factory recommendations), I know that I suffer no ill effects from running 42 up front.
I have used tires that felt skittish, too sharp of steering too, with 42 PSI. And one (Shinko 016) that steered like a pig if it didn't have 42 PSI, and even then it was a pig.

In short I don't believe a blanket one-PSI-fits-all works for FJR front tire. These days I usually try for 39 PSI cold. And generally too lazy to do anything about it if the rear has 39 PSI or more.
bill lumberg loved this
fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

Well this is a timely discussion for tire pressure. Forum inmate wisdom is 42 rear and 40-42 front.

With a new set of PR4 GTs I decided ro run the front at 36 per Yamaha spec. With 4k on the tires I lost 1k of wear compared prior PR4 GTs.

For me it is back to higher front tire pressure.
Blueridgerider, escapefjrtist, wheatonFJR and 2 others loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

How did it feel, compared to our normal 40-42 up front?
fontanaman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 pm Well this is a timely discussion for tire pressure. Forum inmate wisdom is 42 rear and 40-42 front.

With a new set of PR4 GTs I decided ro run the front at 36 per Yamaha spec. With 4k on the tires I lost 1k of wear compared prior PR4 GTs.

For me it is back to higher front tire pressure.
wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Post by raYzerman »

The lower the air pressure, the less stiff the sidewalls and tread areas........ heat will help that tire wear out faster..... I'd be interested in handling characteristics at 36 as well........
A TPMS with temperature readings would tell you what's going on with the heat.
Blueridgerider and wheatonFJR loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

And now for a public service announcement: Pants is a cheap bastage. I have figured out how to scrap the sides of just about any tire. They all perform good enough in the dry when pushed, and since I'm a wimpy wet road rider, on the wet as well. So it's value that drives my choices.

I have found that at pressures below 40, the front tire will scallop easier and earlier; and the rear just wears out faster. Now, if you are a Road 5 (or 5GT), the front will simply scallop at about 2,500 miles regardless. Those first 2500 miles will be glorious, though - like you are running on a rail.

Therefore, it's 40 front, 42 rear for me.

And no Road 5s....
bill lumberg, N4HHE, and John d loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I replaced my halogen license plate light with LED. Didn't need to, it was fine but it was the last non-LED changeover to do. Bulb #194, LED from AutoZone.
Spininprop
Veteran
FJRModel: 2022ES
Traded 2016A
Sold 2013 GSX-R1000
Sold 2003 GSX-R1000
Sold 2000 Bandit 600

Post by Spininprop »

Yep, Road 5 are great, but totally agree about scallop and I have used increments from 38 to 42 front psi but could not find a pressure that they will not cup, scallop, or otherwise deform. But they are great in the dry or wet. So much so, ill go with them or road 6 when i need to replace the OEM junk. What I did find out was a trip to a few hours of warm twisty running would reshape them to the point they would not vibrate under braking.

Hppants wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:31 am And now for a public service announcement: Pants is a cheap bastage. I have figured out how to scrap the sides of just about any tire. They all perform good enough in the dry when pushed, and since I'm a wimpy wet road rider, on the wet as well. So it's value that drives my choices.

I have found that at pressures below 40, the front tire will scallop easier and earlier; and the rear just wears out faster. Now, if you are a Road 5 (or 5GT), the front will simply scallop at about 2,500 miles regardless. Those first 2500 miles will be glorious, though - like you are running on a rail.

Therefore, it's 40 front, 42 rear for me.

And no Road 5s....
IBA# 84110
2022 FJR1300ES
2016 FJR1300A Traded
2013 GSX-R1000 Traded
2003 GSX-R1000 Sold
2000 Bandit 600 Traded
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Rode it.

Well, I inspected my plug job, then aired up the rear tire and used my soap sprayer and no bubbles today. Watched it on the Fobo for a while and no variance. Big change from yesterday.

Then I took it out on my hour long loop to burn off the last of the old gas and filled her up. Log says I haven't filled up since February. It's been busy and I've been riding other bikes and then it got hot. Second riding season of the year is upon us and I have several weekend plans in the works. Hopefully I fill her up sooner rather than later.
wheatonFJR, BkerChuck, Hppants and 1 others loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Burnspot
Veteran
FJRModel: 2020 Super Tenere

Post by Burnspot »

For the first time in a long while, I took the "hangar queen" FJR out for a ride today, so she could stretch her legs a bit and quit complaining about the Super Tenere getting all of the fun. She still purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion, so all's good!
wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen, Niehart and 3 others loved this
Scott
https://burnspot.smugmug.com/
RIP Petey, Jason, and Don...JSNS
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Loaded the ole red girl up.

Tomorrow, we ride!!
wheatonFJR, gixxerjasen, escapefjrtist and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

fontanaman
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2017 FJR, 2017 DR650

Post by fontanaman »

With 36 psi I had a plush ride with decent handing. Giving up 25% tire life is unacceptable so back to higher front tire pressure.
bill lumberg loved this
Searching for roads paved with Asphalt, unless I am riding the mighty DR650 bushpig.