What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2010 Honda CBF1000FA

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by raYzerman »

Next time fer fun, try Simple Green and let it work for 5 minutes, then use your toothbrush.
ice station zebra loved this
Keep yer stick on the ice........... (Red Green)
Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can sure muffle the sound.
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 pm Next time fer fun, try Simple Green and let it work for 5 minutes, then use your toothbrush.
Doesn't usually take that much time. These were a gawd-awful mess. Never tried Simple Green on calipers before although Spray Nine seems to do a decent job on brake dust. Both are alkaline water- based cleaners. (Spray Nine might be a bit more aggressive. ) There usually isn't an oily residue - just brake dust and dirt.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Mounted my garauld hydration system, Laam, and tank bag in preparation for an early start and long day Friday.
Hppants, ice station zebra, and wheatonFJR loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

FJRoss wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:28 pm
raYzerman wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:47 pm Next time fer fun, try Simple Green and let it work for 5 minutes, then use your toothbrush.
Doesn't usually take that much time. These were a gawd-awful mess. Never tried Simple Green on calipers before although Spray Nine seems to do a decent job on brake dust. Both are alkaline water- based cleaners. (Spray Nine might be a bit more aggressive. ) There usually isn't an oily residue - just brake dust and dirt.
Agree, Simple Green is citrus based. Note... Spray Nine will etch glass, don't clean your windows with it. DAMHIK.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

bill lumberg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:03 am Mounted my garauld hydration system, Laam, and tank bag in preparation for an early start and long day Friday.
This makes me sad. But it's also something I "Did" to my FJR, sort of. Griff recently posted a heck of a deal on a used gerauld hydration system that I jumped on. Post office delivered it to the other side of the neighborhood. For most folks this was a box of garbage and so whoever got it likely tossed it in the trash instead of dropping it off at my house. I confirmed with Griff and with the post office that it had the right address, but our carrier doesn't really care where things end up.

Ole Griff chased this one from end to end fighting to get my money back from the Post Office. I'd given up but he didn't and yesterday, miraculously I got my money back. So Yesterday I accepted my money back and maybe one day I'll get one of these too. It's ok though, based on my current riding plans, I won't be needing one so soon.
Cav47 loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

raYzerman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:18 am
FJRoss wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:28 pm
Agree, Simple Green is citrus based. Note... Spray Nine will etch glass, don't clean your windows with it. DAMHIK.
Spray Nine is also sufficiently alkaline to etch unprotected aluminum if left in contact too long. pH is around 9 for Simple Green but over 12 for Spray Nine. I use it with great care, I don't let it dry and I rinse it off quickly. Does a great job on wheels. I haven't tried the Simple Green on the bike but will do so. It should be a lot less aggressive although I don't have any visible surface damage from the Spray Nine at this point.
raYzerman loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

I really want to get a second one for gear or supplemental fuel or water. My Rtic (thanks jwilly) holds ice so well I just dump more water into it when I’m down to ice. But I kind of want a garauld mount on the left side too.
gixxerjasen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:27 am
bill lumberg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:03 am Mounted my garauld hydration system, Laam, and tank bag in preparation for an early start and long day Friday.
This makes me sad. But it's also something I "Did" to my FJR, sort of. Griff recently posted a heck of a deal on a used gerauld hydration system that I jumped on. Post office delivered it to the other side of the neighborhood. For most folks this was a box of garbage and so whoever got it likely tossed it in the trash instead of dropping it off at my house. I confirmed with Griff and with the post office that it had the right address, but our carrier doesn't really care where things end up.

Ole Griff chased this one from end to end fighting to get my money back from the Post Office. I'd given up but he didn't and yesterday, miraculously I got my money back. So Yesterday I accepted my money back and maybe one day I'll get one of these too. It's ok though, based on my current riding plans, I won't be needing one so soon.
gixxerjasen and danh600 loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Post by tominca »

Red wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:16 pm You can save a few bucks anywhere, but that ain't the right stuff. Different Part Number; you want #93003 Check the labels.
I was at Home Depot several times but could never find the Super Lube #93003. Finally got some at Amazon on the way. I go through this stuff every Spring for opening the pool.
It's a good day to ride
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

Absolutely gorgeous weather this morning after a nasty cold front passed through yesterday evening. Woke up to about 50 degrees and severe clear. So I pulled out the ole red pig and accompanied a buddy on a 200 mile "local" back road adventure. Grilled shrimp salad for lunch.

We had the world all to ourselves.

I tell ya - this is a heavy bike. Since I bought the dual sport, I now realize just how heavy it is. But boy, it sure is fun to ride!!!
Blueridgerider, Niehart, and danh600 loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

Cav47
Veteran
FJRModel: 2015 ES well appointed FJR
2012 KLX 250S
2022 Honda CRF450RL

Post by Cav47 »

Hppants wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:14 pm Absolutely gorgeous weather this morning after a nasty cold front passed through yesterday evening. Woke up to about 50 degrees and severe clear. So I pulled out the ole red pig and accompanied a buddy on a 200 mile "local" back road adventure. Grilled shrimp salad for lunch.

We had the world all to ourselves.

I tell ya - this is a heavy bike. Since I bought the dual sport, I now realize just how heavy it is. But boy, it sure is fun to ride!!!
I am just gonna say this, but don't read anything into this other than I am jealous as heck. "You know its Thursday, and your ass should be at work!" WTH, I thought retirement was sometime in July?
Bugnatr, Hppants, and gixxerjasen loved this
I often have found myself when I was not looking, nor did that discovery take place where I thought it would!

Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

13 weeks left. Burning accrued leave - I work no more Fridays and I'm off most Thursdays!!
Blueridgerider, Full House, BkerChuck and 6 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Hppants wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:28 pm 13 weeks left. Burning accrued leave - I work no more Fridays and I'm off most Thursdays!!
Now THAT'S the way to work!!!
Hppants and N4HHE loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

Installed the EBC brake pads in the front and Michelin PR4 GT and 'T' stem. No worries about installing the front wheel itself, but I expect some frustrations trying to get those calipers back on...any tricks to that process?
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

ice station zebra wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:39 pm Installed the EBC brake pads in the front and Michelin PR4 GT and 'T' stem. No worries about installing the front wheel itself, but I expect some frustrations trying to get those calipers back on...any tricks to that process?
Shouldn't be any problem. Push the pads back and remove the bracket that holds the brake hose in place. Much easier with that removed (no longer attached to fender). Oh, and make sure the T-stems are angled enough so they don't hit the caliper...
Blueridgerider and ice station zebra loved this
tominca
Veteran
FJRModel: 2005 ABS

Post by tominca »

There are no trick or difficulties in fastening the calipers as long as you compress the brake pistons fully in. Just be sure the pistons are well-cleaned before putting the pads on, and before compressing them back into the caliper. It's actually not a hard job at all. Be aware that when you push in the pistons it can fill, or overfill the brake fluid reservoir, especially if you have added or changed fluid as the brake wore down. Be prepared to remove some fluid and protect your paint in case it overflows.
Blueridgerider loved this
It's a good day to ride
FJRoss
Veteran
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

tominca wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:16 pm There are no trick or difficulties in fastening the calipers as long as you compress the brake pistons fully in. Just be sure the pistons are well-cleaned before putting the pads on, and before compressing them back into the caliper. It's actually not a hard job at all. Be aware that when you push in the pistons it can fill, or overfill the brake fluid reservoir, especially if you have added or changed fluid as the brake wore down. Be prepared to remove some fluid and protect your paint in case it overflows.
Good point on being aware of the fluid level in the reservoirs. I have seen someone (not me) make a mess of it; either because they forgot new pads are thicker or because they pushed them all the way back.

(Also good point in making sure the side of the pistons are clean before pushing the dirt past the seals.)

Remember to "pump up" the brakes before you take the bike off the stand!
ice station zebra
Casual Rider
FJRModel: 2008

Post by ice station zebra »

tominca wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:16 pm Be aware that when you push in the pistons it can fill, or overfill the brake fluid reservoir, especially if you have added or changed fluid as the brake wore down. Be prepared to remove some fluid and protect your paint in case it overflows.
Good to know, thanks for pointing that out!
raYzerman
Contributor
I post more than I ride

Post by raYzerman »

What those guys said, that's the way to do it. The brake hose bracket off gives you lotsa slack to keep from scratching up yer wheels.
Blueridgerider, ice station zebra, and El Toro Joe loved this
N4HHE
Veteran
FJRModel: 2016

Post by N4HHE »

ice station zebra wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:39 pm Installed the EBC brake pads in the front and Michelin PR4 GT and 'T' stem. No worries about installing the front wheel itself, but I expect some frustrations trying to get those calipers back on...any tricks to that process?
Cover the caliper with a cloth rag to minimize scratching the wheel. For both removal and installation.

Take the 2 caliper bolts out then rock the caliper to spread the pads. It won't come off unless the pads spread just a little bit. Gently, you do not want to bend the disc.

I spread the pads with a flat blade screwdriver. Then insert the disc between at an angle to hold the pads apart (do this by feel with fingertips) while discovering the path to get the caliper inside the rim. The path always feels unnatural, but then everything falls in place. Having said that, I've spent 10 minutes trying to get one on. And sometimes I've spent 10 seconds.
Blueridgerider, D-Eagle, ice station zebra and 1 others loved this
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

N4HHE wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:06 pm Then insert the disc between at an angle to hold the pads apart (do this by feel with fingertips) while discovering the path to get the caliper inside the rim. The path always feels unnatural, but then everything falls in place. Having said that, I've spent 10 minutes trying to get one on. And sometimes I've spent 10 seconds.
This, damnit, this. Usually it's the first one that takes ten minutes and I cuss the whole time, then the second one goes on in 10 seconds and I cuss some more just because.
ice station zebra, wheatonFJR, and N4HHE loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.