What did you do to your FJR today?

Talk about issues and questions specific to the FJR here.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Re: What did you do to your FJR today?

Post by gixxerjasen »

Never had problems with sticky strings either. I've plugged many tires with them and ridden many miles on sticky string plugged tires. But these are not your normal sticky strings.These things are super duper sticky.

These are the things to be avoided.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MB ... UTF8&psc=1
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Hppants
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021ES

Post by Hppants »

When you are 800 miles from home, and 10 miles from ANYTHING, and you run over a 1/4" bolt, 3 (THREE!!) sticky strings does just the trick. Now, it held 40 psi for 10 miles while I rode 25 mph to the nearest tire store. Why 25 mph, you ask? Good question: that was as fast as I was willing to crash.

Your mileage may vary....

morecowbell, Niehart, wheatonFJR and 1 others loved this
"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living. Or get busy dying."
- Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption

bigjohnsd
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2021 BMW R1250GSA "Gray Ghost II"

Post by bigjohnsd »

Hppants wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 pm When you are 800 miles from home, and 10 miles from ANYTHING, and you run over a 1/4" bolt, 3 (THREE!!) sticky strings does just the trick. Now, it held 40 psi for 10 miles while I rode 25 mph to the nearest tire store. Why 25 mph, you ask? Good question: that was as fast as I was willing to crash.

Your mileage may vary....

Posted in the Good News Thread for you - JSNS
bill lumberg and Cav47 loved this
"The only Dumb Question is the unasked Question " - Anonymous
Eat every Sandwich like it is your last!
rbentnail
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2007A, 2013A

Post by rbentnail »

I go to AutoZone a get a new small tube of glue every year whether it's been opened or not. It takes a lot of heat abuse under the seat. Sticky strings I replace every other year or so.
bill lumberg loved this
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran
FJRModel: 2018ES/2022ES

Post by bill lumberg »

Put clearwater Ericas on it…

Last time I had clearwaters, the dimmer pot was installed where they recommended- on the panel. The high beam interface didn’t work (clearwaters go to full brightness automatically when you hit your high beams). Since that didn’t work, I didn’t even try installing the horn interface (blips lights at full bright once when horn is used).

On the ‘18, the headlight interface worked, so we put the horn interface in. I’ll be damned, it worked too.

And despite the instructions on installing the pot on the panel, where they said to put it won’t work on an 18. Not enough clearance between the giant pot and the (relocated for later year models) rectifier. Then I noticed some unused hardware. Shit- the parts made it easier to put the dimmer pot on the bar. Waaaaay better. Between the lights, horn, and bar mounted dimmer, this is an entire order better than my previous installation.

I can cook deer with these.
Niehart, bigjohnsd, rgb and 1 others loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Dirty Brown Dog
Squid
FJRModel: 2016 FJR ES

Post by Dirty Brown Dog »

Just got bike back from 2nd gear recall .Had swing arm greased and valves checked, should be good to go.
Blueridgerider, Hppants, bill lumberg and 1 others loved this
It's all about motorcycles. That's what keeps my world going.
D-Eagle
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 FJR
2003 Honda VTX1800
2023 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

Post by D-Eagle »

Dirty Brown Dog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 pm Just got bike back from 2nd gear recall .Had swing arm greased and valves checked, should be good to go.
How were the valves?
bill lumberg loved this
SE Ohio: Never trust a hill.
Dirty Brown Dog
Squid

Really no miles on bike drove it 3K to Canada and broke my leg on a dirt bike just started riding again. It was only 100 bucks to check them wile in for recall so I did it. Long story short is I dont know how much they were out. It is a little quieter so they must to have been a little out.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

It is unusual for them to require any adjustment until higher mileages. Often, not even then. I put 85,000 plus miles on my last fjr. All valves were in spec for my entire ownership of the bike.

I have almost 90,000 on this one. At the 88,000 mile valve check (50,000 miles since the last check), one exhaust valve was all that needed adjustment. And that was barely.

Good you got the recall done. Have fun riding it.
D-Eagle and N4HHE loved this
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
rgb
Contributor
Squid
FJRModel: 2015

Post by rgb »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am Put clearwater Ericas on it…

And despite the instructions on installing the pot on the panel, where they said to put it won’t work on an 18. Not enough clearance between the giant pot and the (relocated for later year models) rectifier. Then I noticed some unused hardware. Shit- the parts made it easier to put the dimmer pot on the bar. Waaaaay better. Between the lights, horn, and bar mounted dimmer, this is an entire order better than my previous installation.

I can cook deer with these.
I'm interested in your bar mounted light control. I got mine mounted as they said, but something where I didn't have to reach down to make changes would be way better.

cook deer 8-)
Dirty Brown Dog
Squid

For 100 bucks it cost , I just had it done since they were there.

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm It is unusual for them to require any adjustment until higher mileages. Often, not even then. I put 85,000 plus miles on my last fjr. All valves were in spec for my entire ownership of the bike.

I have almost 90,000 on this one. At the 88,000 mile valve check (50,000 miles since the last check), one exhaust valve was all that needed adjustment. And that was barely.

bill lumberg loved this
FJRoss
Veteran
FJRModel: 2011 FJR 1300
2017 BMW F700GS

Post by FJRoss »

Dirty Brown Dog wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:24 am For 100 bucks it cost , I just had it done since they were there.

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm It is unusual for them to require any adjustment until higher mileages. Often, not even then. I put 85,000 plus miles on my last fjr. All valves were in spec for my entire ownership of the bike.

For $100, I would be surprised if they did more than just check to see if clearances are within spec - that is quick but making changes takes time. Even if they didn't make changes, it would be nice to know what the actual clearances are to get some idea how soon they should be checked the next time. If in the middle of the range, you can wait but if on the edge, you wouldn't want to extend the normal interval too much. Many shops just use two feeler gauge sizes for "go, no-go" for upper and lower limits and don't record actual clearances unless changes are needed.
Blueridgerider
FJRModel: 2016 FJR1300A

Post by Blueridgerider »

Well I made the trip down to Woodstock and Traxxion early this week and want to give you my impressions after a long ride to fully put it through the paces. First of all, if anyone hasn't noticed I like to write :D Hey its a frigid Saturday in SC and I have a fresh cup of coffee and nowhere to go so figured I would give a detailed honest opinion of what I think abut the Traxxion upgrade. It is a bit of a book so if you read it grab something hot or cold (depending on the time of day) to help you through :D I hope this helps some that might be considering an upgrade, and that others might find it informative or at least interesting. Attached is a brochure, "Suspensions for Mortals" which they gave me. I really enjoyed reading it and has some great information about how it all works. Its written from a racing point of view but still pertains to all motorcycles. Hope you like it as well.

Well I threw the FJR on my trailer as it was way too cold at 5:30 am to ride and pulled in right at 9. Its not fun following Google Maps during rush hour close to Atlanta. The last 40 miles I think took an hour and a half going through very exclusive areas etc. Man they have perfect roads down there. Flawless pavement everywhere off the interstates. Nice twisty 2 lanes etc. Big bucks in that neck of the woods for sure. By 1 pm I was out the door and back on the road home so they do not waste any time. They do a great job of making you feel comfortable while your there as well. You go in the door and there is a big sign, "Welcome To Traxxion" and your name. Very nice touch after battling traffic for hours.

I think the best way to start this so called review, (some may call it a book haha) would be, what was it about my 2016 FJR suspension that made me decide to spend the money on it and how it remedied the issues I did not like. First my experience with Traxxion and why I would not consider going elsewhere. As stated earlier I have had much experience with them going back a few years. Traxxion made their name really in the Goldwing community starting in 2002 with the totally new GL1800. Great fast motorcycle for its size but way to heavy for the suspension. It was amazing at how many Wing riders really were more than highway tourers riding a couch on wheels. The new Wing was anything but that but could never shake that reputation. Like myself and friends who rode them we treated this new bike more like like a sport tourer and wanted a suspension to match. Traxxion became synonymous with Goldwings. Go to any Wing forum and that was and still is the hot topic and has been for years. Watch Max McAllister's YouTube videos (very entertaining) and they are 99% Wing related. Max holds back no punches and you either love him or hate him haha.

Bottom line the "Mega Monty" as it was called truly transformed the Wing into a bike that now was only extremely powerful and fast but now could really perform in the twisties. Ever heard of Yellow Wolf back in the day? He was a pretty famous with his Yellow Traxxionized Wing. He practically lived at Deal's Gap. Here is what you will find if you Google him: Lumbering a 1000lb motorcycle through 318 curves is no mortal task, yet the Wolf has done the full 11 miles in under 12 minutes. He's even managed to complete 91 laps in under 24 hours, that's over 1000 miles and a total of 29,786 turns total Amazing really. He actually had a business videoing riders at the Gap. He would follow sport bikes you name it and give them a DVD after the run for a price of course. He could keep up with anyone on that big Wing. His video is crazy watching him race through the Gap on that big Wing. Check it out! It was a true testament at how the Traxxion upgrade made such a huge difference in handling on that bike.

So coming into the FJR world after having 2 Wings and an 08 Traxxionized "Mega Monty" one (a Wing which included an Aluminum Triple Tree, Ak20's and Penske Rear Adjustable Shock) I expected to spend the 10K for the like new FJR and drop another couple grand upgrading the suspension. Planned on it. Well I was so surprised at how good the stock suspension was on the FJR that I did not feel it needed anything. Well that was before putting another 30K on it primarily riding in the mountains of WNC and SC. The suspension really went south fast. My biggest complaint was it stopped feeling tight. It would wallow in the uneven turns, became very rough on less than perfect blacktop, and worst of all was totally unstable at highway speeds behind turbulent trucks. Nothing worse than 300 miles at 80 mph on Interstate 81 behind an endless line of trucks just blowing you around. Often it really felt unsafe.

The whole time coming back from Traxxion I am second guessing myself. Man that's a lot of $$. Will it be worth it and make that much difference? Well I was able to brave the cold and take her for a great long 70 mile ride on every possible type road and scenario. With a few miles on the bike the smiles and the buzz came, the doubts all left, I knew I had made the right choice! The FJR was so tight. Each and every input you gave it no matter how small made the bike react. I rode it as quickly as I could to some twisty roads. It turned into the curves so much easier now. In the past I always felt like I had to really push the bike into the turns and fight to keep it on the line. Not now. The bike is so responsive. I took it out on the highway and for the first time in my life I was looking for trucks haha. No more buffeting and feeling unstable. The best way to describe it is, its so tight and maintains the line so well in all of these situations. Well it should as its a costly upgrade right? And for sure anything less would have been a huge disappointment.

I do not think there is any argument that a suspension upgrade would help any motorcycle. Like with many Wing owners I am sure many FJR owners never even think about the shortcomings of the stock suspension or would be willing to spend the money to make it better. The way I look at it I only have so many more young years left and maybe fewer to ride. At 66 and counting I am on the tail end not the beginning and the FJR is the last bike I will ever own. Even with the Traxxion upgrade I only have 13K total invested in it. I feel its the best motorcycle I ever owned and now it is the best it can be. That's my story and I am sticking to it haha. I also hope some stuck through to the end of this :) Spring cannot get here fast enough!

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/re ... 520aaa6b33
morecowbell, gixxerjasen, Hppants and 2 others loved this
2016 FJR1300A Traxxionized
2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Thanks. Once I get to that point, I will do that as well.
boatanchor, 3rd class.
griff
Veteran
FJRModel: 2014 ES

Post by griff »

bill lumberg wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:05 am And despite the instructions on installing the pot on the panel, where they said to put it won’t work on an 18. Not enough clearance between the giant pot and the (relocated for later year models) rectifier. Then I noticed some unused hardware. Shit- the parts made it easier to put the dimmer pot on the bar. Waaaaay better. Between the lights, horn, and bar mounted dimmer, this is an entire order better than my previous installation.
I used the little L bracket in the Clearwater parts to mount the pot here.
bill lumberg
Contributor
Veteran

Post by bill lumberg »

My first set didn’t come with that hardware. And the pots are bigger now.

These came with a bolt, bracket, and spacer allowing me to mount in place of the top bolt holding the left cluster on. Superb placement. Can’t believe I ever did it any other way.
#boatanchorsmatter

2022ES
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

They always say accidents happen close to home. Well yesterday I was almost back from a nice 100 mike ride up and down the mountains of SC and WNC when this car pulled out right in front of me. 2 cars loaded with kids, the first one went out fine and this one decided to just follow them without stopping or looking. I could see the driver laughing as it was some kind of joke. I was able to stopped quickly as I could see it unfolding and hitting the brakes as I moved to the right. Had I just been riding along thinking everyone is supposed to stop like they should I would have probably hit them broadside. Anyway I let them know what I thought but am sure they did not care.

Same ride up on 64W outside of Brevard NC I see these sport bikes coming up flying. As you can see from the very short video clip NC's finest were in hot pursuit. They were heading into town so no way they out run them. Ya never know what your going to get out there for sure.

https://vimeo.com/672874963

2017 Kawasaki Z900
wheatonFJR
Contributor
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2013-Jwilly Special LD Delivery

Post by wheatonFJR »

Blueridgerider wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:02 pm They always say accidents happen close to home. Well yesterday I was almost back from a nice 100 mike ride up and down the mountains of SC and WNC...
Glad you weren't impacted by the event.

Salt/Sand report???
Not sure what roads you were on, but if you were on 28 or 107 or 130 or 178/215 or 276 or 176 was it sanded or salted?
boatanchor, 3rd class.
gixxerjasen
I post more than I ride
FJRModel: 2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Post by gixxerjasen »

Blueridgerider, admit it, you were thinking "OH NO, NOT MY AK20's!!!!"
wheatonFJR and Blueridgerider loved this
YouTube Channel | My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure R | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E | 2020 KTM 500 XCF-W
Son's Bike:2019 Honda CRF250L

I'm here to serve as an example of what NOT to do.
Blueridgerider

Post by Blueridgerider »

wheatonFJR wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:18 pm
Blueridgerider wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:02 pm They always say accidents happen close to home. Well yesterday I was almost back from a nice 100 mike ride up and down the mountains of SC and WNC...
Glad you weren't impacted by the event.

Salt/Sand report???
Not sure what roads you were on, but if you were on 28 or 107 or 130 or 178/215 or 276 or 176 was it sanded or salted?
My ride was home to 11 then up 276 through Brevard. 64 to 178 then back up 276 through TR and always finishing by going up Altamont/ Paris Mtn to home. About 110 miles. I was leery of heading up there because of mainly salt and sand. Definitely did not want salt all over underneath the bike or certainly wiping out on sand :shock: I found most all the roads fine heading out 11 to 276 and back through TR fine at lower elevations. Once I started up 276 to Brevard it went downhill. As you know, that road could be so sweet but sucks as its rutted and full of potholes. Like most years they patch it and there was patchwork all the way up and loose gravel to go with it on this ride. A SC embarrassment as so many go to Caesars Head and Pretty Place. Paved it would be incredible. Maybe one day.

I was really surprised at all the snow as well. Still lots of it lining the road. Very little sand if any and I looked the whole ride for signs of leftover salt but really did not see any. Of course the roads had that whitish look so something probably brine was put down instead of salt. 178 was in perfect condition as if it were summer. As you know, does not get much sweeter than 178. All in all I enjoyed the ride and took it easy where it looked nasty. Was frosty for sure 55 to say 43 up top but not too bad. Got the hose out before putting her back in the garage but really did not notice any salt etc. on the rims or underneath. That is my weekly twisty road assessment Feb 2, 2022 and hope you enjoyed it!!
wheatonFJR loved this
2017 Kawasaki Z900